Is what you’re eating making you a better person?
Are your food choices in line with your goals (fitness related or not)?
Are you eating to live, or living to eat?
Here are the cliffnotes version of eating for performance (and lookin’ good too!)
- Protein: not only does it promote lean tissue growth and maintainance (muscle) but it requires more energy to digest and metabolize. Win-Win!
- Veggies and Fruits: you’ve heard it before, but it’s true! You’ll get nutrients and antioxidants galore along with carbs that won’t zap your energy and leave you feeling sluggish. Eat more veggies if you can, or split them up – fruits in the morning, veggies the rest of the day. An increase in dietary fiber is another perk for eating whole foods!
- Water: ok, you don’t “eat” this, but just about everyone could benefit tremendously from proper (read: more) hydration. Our bodies are 70% or more water – do you think we’re functioning optimally when de-hydrated? Drink up!!
- Fast Food: do I need to go into this? Plan ahead and pack some sandwiches/healthy snacks. You’ll get much more ‘bang for your buck’.
- Packaged Foods: how many grocery carts do you see stocked full of boxed this, and frozen that (and cases of soda to boot)? It comes down to choosing to invest your time and money in healthy food/cooking habits. The more you cook, the better you look!
- Soda: and juices, sports drinks, energy drinks, etc. Liquid calories add up faster than most people think. Add to that all the carbonation, caffeine, sugars and/or artificial sweeteners, and you’ve got yourself a recipe for feeling crappy (and probably overweight). Stick to water with the occasional glass of milk, tea, or coffee (and I do mean occasional here).
I’ve heard a couple great quotes when it comes to improving your diet and food choices. Follow these recommendations and things get a lot easier.
**Don’t eat it unless;
- You (or your kids) can pronounce every ingredient on the label.
- You can kill it, catch it, or grow it.
Easy enough, right?
Eat to live, don’t live to eat!
“live like no one else, so later, you can live like no one else”